Profit Center Accounting (EC‑PCA) lets you determine profits and losses by profit center using either period accounting or the cost‑of‑sales approach. It also lets you analyze fixed capital and so‑called “statistical key figures” (number of employees, square meters, and so on) by profit center. Consequently, you can calculate all key figures commonly used in cost accounting (return on investment, cash flow, sales per employee, and so on).
A profit center is a management‑oriented organizational unit used for internal controlling purposes. Dividing your company up into profit centers allows you to analyze areas of responsibility and to delegate responsibility to decentralized units, thus treating them as “companies within the company”.
SAP Central Finance replicates EC-PCA postings from source system to Central system as FI postings. Below postings are replicated:
- EC-PCA manual posting: 9KE0, 1KEL
- Periodic posting for allocation: 3KE5, 4KE5
Initial Load transfers the following and it can be executed once per company code:
- PCA balances posted prior to the start period of ongoing replication that you defined in the activity Define Start of Transfer of EC-PCA Postings.
- PCA documents which are posted for periods from the start period of ongoing replication to the activation timestamp that you defined in the activity Activate Transfer of EC-PCA Postings.
Execute transaction – FINS_CFIN_PCA_LOAD in central system.
- When this is done the initial load program (transaction: FINS_CFIN_PCA_LOAD) in the Central Finance system, a timestamp of the current time is written into the Central Finance generic settings table (CFIN_CTRL). Meanwhile, the source system is triggered to write EC-PCA documents and balances into the Central Finance tables (CFIN_ACCHD, CFIN_ACCIT, CFIN_ACCCR).
- The changes in the Central Finance tables further trigger the SLT transfer. In this way, the EC-PCA data is transferred from source systems to the Central Finance system using SLT.
The transferred EC-PCA data in the Central Finance system is posted after business mapping and AIF checks have been carried out.
EC-PCA Ongoing Replication
Once a company code is activated for EC-PCA ongoing replication, the corresponding EC-PCA postings will be continuously replicated from the source system to the Central Finance system automatically.
- EC-PCA is active.
- You do this by setting the Active Indicator in transaction 0KE5 (EC-PCA: Controlling Area Settings) in your source system.
- Line items and online transfer are set to active in view V_TKA00PCA (EC-PCA: Control Parameters for Actual Postings) in your source system.
- You do this in transaction SM30.
- The replication of EC-PCA posting on secondary cost element is not in scope.
- Only three activity types of EC-PCA internal postings are transferred to the Central Finance system:
- PRC5: Profit center document entry (posted with transaction 9KE0, 9KE9 or 1KEL).
- PCAA: Actual assessment in profit center accounting (posted with allocation transaction 3KE5).
- PCAD: Actual distribution in profit center accounting (posted with allocation transaction 4KE5).
- Transaction 0KE1 (EC-PCA: Delete Transaction Data) in the source system is not in the scope of the Central Finance scenario. If you use the transaction in the source system, the replicated document in the Central Finance system will not be modified and reconciliation between source and target system will not work.
- When postings created from an allocation run are reversed, there is no reference in the reversal documents to the reversed documents and vice versa. This information is, however, available for other reversal/reversing documents that are not related to allocations.
Settings in Source system
- Document type – This is the document type assigned to the FI posting that is created from the EC-PCA posting.
- G/L account – If a replicated EC-PCA does not balance to zero, an additional line item has to be created for the posting in the Central Finance system. The additional line is posted to the G/L account that you specify here.
- Profit center – If a replicated EC-PCA does not balance to zero, an additional line item has to be created for the posting in the Central Finance system. The additional line is assigned to the profit center that you specify here.
EC-PCA Simulation tool
This tool enables you to simulate the process of ongoing replication and the initial load of EC-PCA internal postings before starting the actual replication. It also carries out both a data mapping check and a posting logic check, just like in real replication. No actual posting is carried out during the simulation.
- The simulation runs in the same configuration environment as the actual transfer (ongoing replication and initial load), and no extra configuration is needed.
- In the Central Finance system, a new AIF interface (PCA_DOC_SM) is used to separate the simulation results from results of the real ongoing replication and initial load. Refer note 2873997 for installation of AIF interface
The simulation tool runs in the Central Finance system. It first retrieves the data from the source system and then checks the transferred data based on the same checks as those carried out during the actual replication of EC-PCA postings. The selected data will be transferred to the Central Finance system via SLT, and you can go to AIF to check the detailed results.
Two kinds of simulation are supported: general simulation and initial load simulation
- General simulation: PCA documents are retrieved from GLPCA of the source system. This simulation can be used to check the system environment before the ongoing replication.
- Initial load simulation: The system simulates the process of the initial load, and the same data as the real initial load will be handled. This simulation can only be executed after ongoing replication has been activated.
Two kinds of check are carried out for the transferred documents in AIF, the same as those carried out when PCA documents are actually replicated.
- Check the data based on the configuration in MDG mapping and value mapping.
- Check the posting logic as in real document posting.
When an error has been fixed, it should disappear when you restart the relevant item in AIF or re-execute the simulation.
Transaction – FINS_CFIN_PCA_SIMU
EC-PCA Count Comparison Report
You can use this report to check whether all data has been posted successfully by comparing the quantity of source data with the data transferred to Central Finance via the ongoing replication or the initial load.
Initial Load Comparison
- The system compares the counts of PCA documents or balances you select in the source system with those successfully transferred to Central Finance via the initial load.
- You can see the fiscal year, posting period, and transfer status of specific documents but not the document number of unsuccessfully transferred documents because, for the initial load, most data comes from balances, for which no unique key can be used in the source system to identify the corresponding document in the Central Finance system.
Ongoing Replication Comparison
- The system compares the counts of selected source PCA documents with those replicated to Central Finance via ongoing replication.
- You can display the details of documents to see the fiscal year, posting period, and transfer status of specific documents as well as the document number of unsuccessfully transferred documents.
Transaction – FINS_CFIN_DFV_PCA_CN
EC-PCA Balance Comparison Report
- This report displays the debit amount, credit amount and balance in both the source system and the Central Finance system for specified G/L account, posting period and company code. You can use this report to compare the balances for selected G/L accounts in the source system with the corresponding balances in the Central Finance system.
- No currency exchange is needed for the comparison because the balances sum up the transaction amounts which are in the consistent currency between the source system and the Central Finance system.
Initial Load Comparison
- In this option, balances selected for comparison come from balances transferred to the Central Finance system by initial load.
- You cannot display details of documents with this option.
Ongoing Replication Comparison
- In this option, balances selected for comparison come from documents transferred to the Central Finance system by ongoing replication.
- You can drill down from the account’s balance to the document level to see the document number, fiscal year, posting period, transfer status in both source system and Central Finance. For the source document not replicated successfully, you can jump to AIF for further information.
Transaction – FINS_CFIN_DFV_PCA_BA
Deleting replicated EC-PCA postings
You can delete the data generated during the initial load/ongoing replication of EC-PCA internal postings or delete the simulation data that is generated when you execute the simulation tool for EC-PCA internal postings. You may want to delete this type of data stored in your source systems and the Central Finance system and redo the initial load or ongoing replication if errors happen during the transfer of EC-PCA internal postings.
In the Central Finance system
- run report FINS_CFIN_PCA_DOC_DELETE to delete the replicated EC-PCA data and other related data like execution timestamps, simulation data that is generated when you execute the simulation tool in the Central Finance system and transfer data stored in CFIN_ACC* tables of the source system.
- With this report, you can delete the posted data in FI tables (BKPF, BSEG_ADD, ACDOCA); remotely clear the execution timestamps in the table (CFIN_CTRL) of the source system; remotely clear the transfer data stored in CFIN_ACC* tables of the source system.
In the source system
- Run report FIN_CFIN_PCA_RESET to reset the CFIN_ACC* tables: delete the transfer data generated during initial load/ongoing replication/simulation and stored in CFIN_ACC* tables (CFIN_ACCHD, CFIN_ACCIT and CFIN_ACCCR) in your source systems.
Delete EC-PCA Data
- In SE38 in the Central Finance system to run report FINS_CFIN_PCA_DOC_DELETE (or directly call transaction FINS_CFIN_PCA_DEL)
- Choose Clear Initial Load Data Only or Clear All Posting Data or Clear Simulation Data
- Choose Clear Transfer Data in Source, if you want to clear the transfer data stored in CFIN_ACC* tables in the source system
- Check the result in the log
- Check if the documents have been deleted from the following tables in the Central Finance system
- BKPF (Accounting Document Header)
- BSEG_ADD (Entry view of accounting document for additional ledgers)
- ACDOCA (Universal Journal Entry Line Items)
- Check if the execution timestamps for the selected company codes have been deleted from the following table in the source system: CFIN_CTRL (Central Finance generic settings)
- Check if the transfer data stored in CFIN_ACC* tables in a source system has been deleted if you have executed Clear Transfer Data in Source
Transaction – FINS_CFIN_PCA_DEL
Reset CFIN_ACC* Tables
- Call transaction SE38 in a source system to run report FIN_CFIN_PCA_RESET (or directly call transaction FIN_CFIN_PCA_RESET)
- Choose Clear Initial Load Data Only or Clear All Replication Data or Clear Simulation Data
- Check if the data has been deleted from the following tables of a source system
- CFIN_ACCHD (ACCHD Transfer table)
- CFIN_ACCIT (Transfer Table for ACCIT)
- CFIN_ACCCR (Transfer Table)
Last Update: April 20, 2023